Just Not Box-able


I can’t fit this poem in this box
By: Nina Galvez

I have folded it, shaped it, even cut it.
Yet I still can’t shut this box.
I have tried square, triangle, even pentagonal boxes.
And it wouldn’t fit into any of my pockets.

I can’t fit this poem in this box.
They told me, “Stop! Don’t hurt it, you are meant to learn it.”
Nonsense I say, I’m only trying to condense the multi-meaning words.
“But that is the point,” they say, “Don’t break it into thirds.”

By putting this poem in a box, I will have encased it, displayed it for all to see.
“Don’t you dare, you are taking from it all that it will be!”
Wait, but what do you mean?
“You can’t fit a poem into a box for it has more than one memo.
So, stop trying to match it to one specific tempo!”


I wrote this poem from the questioner point of view. Then tried to answer their question
in my own interpretive way. My answer was trying to convey that you can’t fit a poem into
a box because a box is very one-dimensional. It has one “meaning”, it’s a box and there
isn’t another way to see it. On the contrary, a poem is multi-dimensional and exhibits many
different shapes and angles. A poem can be read in many different styles and interpreted
in even more different ways. Therefore, it is not possible for such a one-dimensional item
to match that of a multi-dimensional piece of literature.

Comments

  1. I enjoyed the dialogue between the narrator and the "other individual". It made the poem more conversational and casual. This tone made the message more personal and easy to understand. Also, I thought the personification of the poem was effective in conveying the various aspects and interpretations of a poem. Good post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this poem, and I really appreciate your reflection on and explanation of it. It's a good idea to take the questioners perspective and create the chance to open up their ideas about poems and boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your ending with "stop trying to match it to one specific tempo," because you chose not to use a consistent tempo or rhyme scheme within the poem, which was a clever touch, I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great take on the prompt, Nina! I'm very pleased to see that you decided to write a poem illustrating what it means to fit (or not to fit) a poem into box. Your piece has a fun personality and is very enjoyable to read, all while having a well-executed meaning behind it. I'll add that the clever little touches of rhyme here and there throughout the poem were spot on! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great poem, Nina! Your ideas come across clearly. The tone is light and humorous, which makes it an enjoyable read. Interesting choice to make the narrator the one who's trying to fit the poem into the box. It's a unique perspective!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Aritificial Poetry

Poets are Artists Too